Darren Matthews is an executive managing director and regional head of Europe, Middle East, and Africa (EMEA) for K2 Integrity. With more than 20 years of experience conducting and leading investigations, Darren is an expert in internal investigations and dispute resolution. Based in London, Darren leads the European operations of the firm and directs a team of investigators, forensic accountants, and asset tracing and recovery and compliance experts who assist clients facing complex disputes; cross-border instances of fraud, bribery, and corruption; and compliance breaches.
Darren provides support to clients involved in disputes and facing challenges to their reputation and advises them on risks confronting the core areas of their business. Darren has extensive experience investigating civil and criminal matters, interrogating disputed transactions, and quantifying losses incurred as a result of fraud and corruption internationally. He advises clients across a range of industries, including the mining, aerospace, supply chain, and financial services industries.
Before joining K2 Integrity, Darren was the managing director at Nexus Risk Management, providing investigative and compliance services to clients in EMEA. Prior to that, Darren spent 10 years in investigative and management roles at a UK plc conducting internal investigations throughout the world.
Darren is a Fellow of the Institute of Chartered Accountants in England and Wales (FCA) and a Certified Fraud Examiner (CFE).
Areas of Expertise
- Asset Tracing and Recovery
- Anti-Bribery and Corruption (ABC) Investigations and Compliance
- Anti-Money Laundering and Combating the Financing of Terrorism (CFT), Sanctions, and Fraud Compliance Programs
- Dispute Advisory Services
- Financial Investigations and Forensic Accounting
- Fraud Detection Analytics
- Fraud Investigations
- Internal Investigations
Education and Certifications
- Fellow, Institute of Chartered Accountants in England and Wales (FCA)
- Certified Fraud Examiner (CFE)
- Leading the recovery of more than US$450 million in connection with a long-running supply chain fraud in the Middle East.
- Investigating fraud and misappropriation in an international supply chain on behalf of an international commodities company.
- Acting on behalf of an ultra-high-net-worth family to understand the dissipation of assets from family office control.
- Conducted an investigation into the fraudulent bankruptcy of a metals trading company allegedly operated by politically exposed persons in Europe.
- Led a team assisting an international bank in the development of Anti-Money Laundering (AML) procedures to satisfy international legislation.
- Identified individuals and networks involved in the counterfeit of medical, pharmaceutical, alcohol, and engineering products.
- Identified losses and assisted in the recovery of US$150 million on behalf of a client involved in an international shipping dispute.
- Demonstrated a fraud and established losses on behalf of investors in a metal trading scheme, resulting in the recovery of more than US$60 million.
- Investigated a supplier and subcontractor fraud involving senior management members of a mining company, resulting in successful prosecution and recovery of losses.