Bernard Factor is an associate managing director in K2 Integrity’s Financial Crimes Risk Management practice, based in New York. With more than 25 years’ experience providing global Anti-Money Laundering (AML) and forensic advisory services, Bernard helps financial institutions overcome complex domestic and cross-border financial crimes compliance and investigative challenges. He advises clients in the United States and internationally on the design and implementation of global regulatory compliance programs in relation to Bank Secrecy Act (BSA)/AML, trade sanctions, tax evasion, market abuse, and other regulatory matters. He also specializes in program assessment reviews for audit and independent regulatory purposes and is highly experienced in global investigations.
Before joining K2 Integrity, he was a member of the leadership team in PricewaterhouseCooper’s U.S. AML technology group, focused on optimization and validation of financial crimes surveillance systems. Bernard spent 20 years prior to that with KPMG in Europe, where he was an AML and forensic services partner in the firm’s London office and led its Forensic Financial Services practice in Zurich for the Swiss market during the early-stage evolution of Foreign Account Tax Compliance Act (FATCA) compliance. During his time at KPMG, he was seconded for two years to the London Stock Exchange as head of its Special Investigations Unit, responsible for investigations into serious UK cases of insider trading and market abuse. He has significant international experience, having operated throughout both the EMEA and Asia-Pacific regions.
Bernard is a Fellow of the Institute of Chartered Accountants in England and Wales and a qualified member of the Securities Institute. He graduated with a B.Sc. (Hons.) in physics from Imperial College of Science, Technology, and Medicine, London.
Areas of Expertise
- Anti-Bribery and Corruption (ABC) Investigations and Compliance
- Anti-Money Laundering and Combating the Financing of Terrorism (CFT), Sanctions, and Fraud Compliance Programs
- Enterprise-Wide Financial Crime Risk Assessments
- Financial Investigations and Forensic Accounting
- Regulator Mandated Monitorships and Independent Consultancies
Education and Certifications
- Imperial College London, B.Sc. (Hons.)
- Fellow, Institute of Chartered Accountants in England and Wales (FCA)
- Served as program director on one of the first major monitorship appointments by the New York Department of Financial Services in relation to trade sanctions violations by a foreign bank.
- Supported a top 10 European banking group through the implementation of its revised target operating model for AML and sanctions compliance across 40 global locations.
- Established a large-scale politically exposed persons (PEP) and high-risk customer remediation program for a long-established Swiss private banking firm.
- Personally appointed as an independent monitor of a London registered broker-dealer’s market abuse compliance program for the UK’s Financial Services Authority.
- Engaged in a personal capacity to undertake an independent review of a continental European bank’s UK AML, fraud, and financial crimes compliance architecture.
- Performed an independent review of a major international bank’s AML governance, Know Your Customer (KYC), and transaction monitoring arrangements in Hong Kong, Singapore, Thailand, and India.
Note: This list includes engagements completed prior to joining K2 Integrity.